Low voltage outdoor lighting can be used in a landscape to provide safety, security, accent, and character. The specific design of a lighting system will be influenced by a variety of things, including the site characteristics, the scope of the landscape, its function, and the homeowner’s desires.
Types of Outdoor Lights:
- Uplights: Lights placed at ground level with the lights aiming upward to highlight focal points in the landscape, such as specimen trees, signs, and architectural features. The lights not only highlight features from the outside, but they also provide for an extension of the interior living spaces at night. Fixtures of this type may include spot or flood lights as well as in-ground fixtures.
- Downlights: Lights placed above an object or area and aimed downward to imitate natural light such as simulating moonlight, or for providing security to an area, such as at back entrance. Care should be taken to hide or shield these light fixtures from view to create a true natural light. Fixtures of this type include spot or flood lights.
- Backlights: Lights placed behind artistic objects or plant material to cast a silhouette on a wall for a striking effect. As with downlights, care should be taken to place the fixtures so that they are hidden from view. Lights of this type may include spot or flood lights as well as in-ground fixtures.
- Pathlights: Lights placed just above grade level along sidewalks, driveways, or informal paths in the landscape to safely lead a person from one location to another. Path light fixtures are generally low to the ground and cast a spreading light.
- Specialty lights: Lights that add accent to a space, especially in the evening. Their purpose is to set a particular mood or create atmosphere. Examples of specialty lights include string lights in a gazebo, lights that resemble patio torches and/or flickering flames, and lights used in underwater settings to highlight a waterfall or rock bank.
As you can see there are many important aspects that go into the desgin and installation of a quality lighting system. For more information visit our site at www.deltaoutdoorlighting.com or www.lightupaustin.com.